Monday, June 22, 2015

6/22/15 day 3, Kent Conn

We had another interesting day.  Sassafras was he some issues with her shoes and feet. It looked like she needed new shoes.  I was not to optimistic about Kent Conn. But I was pleasantly surprised.  Mrs Kaboose called the outfitter in town and they directed use to Sundog shoes. The guy at Sondogs was great and Sassafras left with a new pair of Merrells.

As walked into town a thru hiker told us we could camp behind the clothing store.  When we got there the owner told is to set up in back. There was a portapotty, cold outdoor shower and a shed with a hiker box and clean towels.  We showered washed our cloths and has pizza, post a and ice cream. We also did our resupply at the IGA. What more should a hiker need.  I am sitting in a lawn chair and Sassafras is reading her kindle in hèr tent. All is well.

6/21/15 day two 2 Wiley shelter

We did a 16.8 mile day today.  Sassafras has got her trail legs already. It was a mixed day.  We started hiking in the rain and ended the day hiking in hot and humid weather.  Sassafras ran the Call last 3 miles of the day because there was supposed to be trail magic at the shelter vendors including a chicken dinner.   It was supposed to start at 3pm,  we got there at 350pm and it was already over. We at our regular. Supper, which is ok because we would have had to carry it tomorrow.  Wec are resting in the shelter and it just started to rain.  It in relaxing and it is cooling of so sleeping will not be a problem.  Connecticut tomorrow and resupply in Kent.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

6/20/14 day 1

We drove down from Maine yesterday after picking up Sassafras from her last day of school,  as a high school freshmen,  and drove down to Danbury CT. Mrs Kaboose dropped us of at Horton town road and we started hiking north.  We are at Morgan Stewart shelter tonight.  It was a short 9 miles and we were done by noon. It is forecasted to thunderstorm this afternoon so we and are in for the night. We plan a 16.6 mile day tomorrow. It looks like it will be raining tomorrow.  So goes the trail.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

2015 update

I thought I have stopped posting to this blog, but I guess I was wrong. Sassafras and I will be leaving Maine next week to hike north from where we got off the trail in New York in 2013 and hike north for 3 weeks. We hope to get into Vermont. If we do that Sassafras will have the rest of Vermont and a several days of hiking in New Hampshire to complete the A.T. Updates to come - Kaboose
Picture is from the top of Mount Moriah in northern New Hampshire from a hike last week.